Previous Index Next
Page 101
(previous) (Page 000101) (next)

Continental examples of the moving of buildings, covering a wide
range in time from the days of the Norsemen to the seventeenth
century. He writes that in the Middle Ages the landlords let the
ground on one year’s lease to the ‘colonus’ (corresponding to the
English ‘villanus’ or ‘cottar’). If he wished to leave, and was
unable to sell his house to his successor, he took it away with
him. Many examples of the moving of buildings in Germany
are known].

Useful information may be obtained from the old glossaries and
dictionaries as to the parts of the roof, as it may for the other
parts of the building.

We have seen that the Mediaeval Latin word ‘laquear,’ in a
variety of spellings, was used for the ridge beam, and the glossaries
show that it was also applied to the other timbers which ran
longitudinally in the direction of the length of the building. The
word is translated ‘ raesn’ in the eleventh century ; as both ‘ fierst ’
and ‘raesn ’ in the twelfth; and as ‘lace’ and ‘post bande’ in the
fifteenth. In 1338 an item occurs ‘for six pieces of timber
bought for the rasen of that house’,’ and the English Dialcct
Dictionary shows that ‘reason’ still means wall-plate in the
dialect of the southern and eastern counties of England. In
the seventeenth century Ray wrote that the pan was variously
called ‘rasen,’ or ‘resen,’ or ‘resening’ in timber buildings in
the South. Gerbier, an architect of the same century, defined
the reason piece as the wall-plate. The word ‘pan’ does not
occur in the VVright-Wiilcker Vocabularies, but in the Cat/tolicon
Anglicnm the ‘panne of a howse’ is translated by ‘ panna.’ The
earliest quotation for the word in the Oxford Dictionary is from
the Close Rolls of the year 1225: ‘Palnas, postes, trabes, and
cheuerones,’ that is plates, posts, beams, and rafters. Cotgrave
defined ‘panne de bois’ as the piece of timber that sustains a
gutter between the fronts of two houses, which is the wall-plate, as
such houses generally had their gable ends to the street. The
word is still in use in the dialects of Scotland and the North of
England. In Lancashire and Scotland it is used for the purlins,
but in South Yorkshire it is restricted to the wall—plate. The word
‘ pan ’ is of Norman-French origin, and it is strange that a Norman-
French word should be used in the North of England and a good

‘ R. IIenning, Deutcclze Ham, p. 164.
2 Oxford English Dictionaijy, 3.2). Reason.

Previous Index Next